Saturday, May 22, 2010

Whirlwind by Cathy Marie Hake (3 Stars)

I picked this book up at the library on a whim. I had read another book by Cathy Marie Hake that I did not particularly like but this title sounded interesting. My mother stole it from me so I had to wait a while to read it. Finally, today I finished it.

Whirlwind is about a woman named Millicent Fairweather. In the opening scenes of the book, she is a nanny in England to two girls whom she loves dearly. Their father sends both girls to a boarding school leaving Millicent jobless. And so we find our heroine traveling to America with her sister and brother-in-law. On board the ship, she meets Daniel Clark and his son Arthur who is in need of a nanny. She agrees to work for Mr. Clark while during the trip. However, extenuating circumstances throw both Millicent and Daniel together. They enter a "marriage of convenience" and head to make a home in Texas. Yes, I'm sure you can already see how this will turn out :)
So, I liked this book but I wasn't enraptured by it. At the beginning of the book I liked Daniel Clark and how considerate he was of others. After the marriage I disliked him immensely. He became domineering and I could never feel the attraction between the characters as I would have in a Lori Wick or Deanne Gist novel. The plot was interesting and didn't have a great deal of unbelievable twists as one might expect from Christian fiction. The book was a fast read and though I was satisfied with the way it ended, I was irritated that the characters both seemed so distant. I don't think I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment